Youth Worker Training Initiative
Engaging Youth in Discussions About Substance Use
The YWTI - Youth Worker Training Initiative is an evidence-based program aimed at training youth workers, who work with youth who are at-risk of or who are beginning to experiment with substance use, to engage them in conversations about illicit drugs.
- Examine the role of illicit drugs in youth culture
- Learn about the effects, signs, symptoms and consequences of use
- Discover how to enhance resiliency and protective factors
- Learn about the Stages of Change and the change process
- Learn about the Drug Use Continuum and dependence
- Learn about different drugs
- Discuss possible resources within the community
Participants will have an opportunity to practice the skills and apply the knowledge gained and will come away feeling more confident engaging in discussions with youth about substance use.